The Natural Way To Get Your Teeth Whiter and Stronger (Remineralization)

How To Use Baking Soda for Skin Care

Sodium hydrogen carbonate aka baking soda. This humble compound bats beyond its weight by being featured in so many cooking, cleaning and skin care recipes. It’s a wonder ingredient and rightfully so as it’s used in so many DIY solutions ranging from using baking soda in place of shampoo to using it to clean the inside of an oven to using it to make fluffy paleo pancackes.

Baking soda is also a major ingredient in skin care recipes, both commercial and DIY. I personally use it to create my own toothpaste, my own deodorant and my own skin care routine. This post will address how I use baking soda and calcium carbonate in creating my own toothpaste resulting in stronger re-mineralized and whiter teeth. A lot of thanks goes to Wellness Mama and various skincare forums and blogs for giving me the inspiration.

Before we start, a note to the wise. My periodental issues including cavities and periodental pockets (gaps near the gum line) started to get better after I changed my diet to a whole foods, low carb, high fat one. Eliminating sugars, refined carbs and starches had an incredibly positive effect on the state of my teeth by strengthening the enamels; the transparency of my two front teeth disappeared and those same teeth started to get opaque with stronger enamel coating. I would say diet, aka fixing myself from the inside, contributed 70% towards the health of my teeth with the remaining 30% a result of using the DIY toothpaste.

Ingredients

Remineralizing Toothpaste Instructions

  1. Mix all powdered ingredients (calcium, Baking Soda, Xylitol) well in a bowl.
  2. Add Coconut Oil one part at a time until you get desired consistency.
  3. Add any optional ingredients, including Essential Oils for flavor (my favorite is Peppermint Orange)
  4. Store in small container like ½ pint glass jar. To use, either dip clean toothbrush into it, or use Popsicle stick or spoon to put on toothbrush. I’ve also thought of storing in a plastic bag with a corner cut off to be able to squeeze like toothpaste, but haven’t tried it yet.

Mix the Calcium Carbonate and Baking Soda in a glass bowl (small one) and then add coconut oil slowly until you get a good nice consistency that is not too watery nor too solid. If you have essential oils add the drops. Store the end result in a small dark glass container. To use, you can simply dip your clean toothbrush,

 

If this looks like too much work for you then an alternative is to go to a Lush store and get this Lush Tooth Powder product. It’s a dry powder that you can dip your damp toothbrush into and start brushing. If you check the ingredients list the first tow ingredients are calcium carbonate and sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking powder). Everything listed after those two major ingredients are natural ingredients geared towards making it taste ok. The only thing missing is coconut oil which I do recommend as an ingredient as it has strong anti-fungal properties. You can dump the Lush powder to a small dark glass container and slowly add coconut oil, stirring continually, until the right consistency is reached.

 

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*